Tuesday 27 December 2022

The Broken Doll

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I forsook Light's path for honesty's sake. 

What more could I do? The fields are of blood, 

Watched over by grotesque owls that are lean, 

And lonely, they repeat their restless 'Who?' 

 

My plow is still, I desire naught, go 

Tell the master of the manor his meat, 

Is purchased, is purchased, is purchased now-- 

Beneath this soil a lasting hell for One. 

 

The Broken Doll has gone into the house, 

See the light of the fire there!  Long ago, 

There was music and dancing to be had. 

I was suave and bold on the keys you know. 

 
I stood alone in the distance, tried to keep 

The rain from my hat and yet the inclement 

Weather turned my head to the night, 

Opened her gown to me with gentle sounds. 

 

As I hesitated, an owl struck my back, 

Then retreated to the safe trees again. 

I ran away!  Into death and mocking 

Gestures from the stars; a wind that blasted blew. 

 

Travelling on ‘til I'd passed many unknown ways, 

It was a Hag of Vengeance that opposed me now. 

The apple-tree not so tenacious it, 

Will grow branches of wild fruit to yield her. 

 

Its roots have been poisoned, and boughs broken. 

Forsaken to the core, it knows but to forsake, 

To spin a moment realized by the world, 

Then plunge, a seed into clay and mystery. 

__________

Copyright 2022 Jeffrey Merk

No comments:

Post a Comment