Friday 13 June 2014

Broken Souls


    Bb                      F
Immortal stars that kindly gaze
      Eb                          Bb
On nighted earth with tender rays
C                               F
Witnessed when our fingers met
       C                        Bb     F
She sighed her secret sobriquet *                           * a familiar version of a name

In gardens where the moon presides
Over wedding feasts and brides
We wandered over scented path
And took our midnight hour pool-bath

We whispered on secluded bench
Exchanging glances not to quench
Bur rather provoke hunger more
That divine bread at heavens door

          *          *          *

In shadow of my rose I stand
Whose wilted petals left my hand
I pushed too hard wrecking all
She disappeared down my hall

I pray forbear my owlish sight
That failed to see you through this night
Your forgiveness alone paroles
Our living death of broken souls!

_______________________
Copyright Jeffrey Merk 2014

Sung to the transposed tune of Leonard Cohen's, 'Joan of Arc'.

No comments:

Post a Comment